Friday 2 November 2012

Great Cappuccino Along the Way



Although I don't drink coffee these days, I can make a good list of the best cappuccino I enjoyed along the way. Cappuccino was (still is) my favorite drink from coffee. I love the blended between coffee, milk, and foam at the end. It tastes really good. While sipping it, I can enjoyed the ginger cookies or something else. Perfect drink for a perfect moment. Hayyyyaaaaahhhh. Compared to other coffee drinks, cappuccino could be a little bit pricey. I guess because of the blended of milk and coffee. 

I'm making the ranking by excluding franchise coffee shops like Kayak, Panera, Peets, Illy, and others. Most of the list are locally-owned business (as far as I know). Great coffee does not mean that the coffee is great, but also the ambience.


So, here is the list:
Cafe Berlin, Columbia, Missouri, USA
Berlin Cafe Cappuccino

The best of all goes to Cafe Berlin's cappuccino. This cafe locates next to Wabash station. It's locally-owned and ran by a family (the same owner with Root Cellar grocery if I'm not mistakenly heard). Aside from good coffee and cappuccino, this place is well-known of its omelet and waffle. Therefore, this place is a perfect place for your brunch. It only opens over the weekend (from Friday evening-Sunday). 

I went to this place for the first time on my 31th birthday. I was so damn sleepy that morning after had a late night sleep and woken up early in the morning to have a Iedul Adha prayers. I enjoyed my birthday brunch with a couple of strangers I knew that day and one good friend. So, whenever I visited Columbia, I would not miss to stop by to this cafe. 


Pony Espresso, SSB 2nd Floor, University of Missouri, St. Louis (UMSL), St. Louis, USA
Shannon's

Well, I had this cappuccino almost every day. Shannon is my favorite and best barista all the time. This cappuccino was really my soul to keep my eyes awake during my evening classes. Shannon and her café are savior for me and most of my classmates. I took my friends who came to town to taste the cappuccino and they could not agree more. Thank you Shannon!
Smile Cafe, downtown Summerville, South Carolina, USA

It was coincidence to stop by at this cafe. It was Sunday and K's family brought me to the church with them. I was staying with them during Spring break 2012. So, instead of leaving me alone at home with Max, Fatty, and Little Miss, they were taking me as well to the church. After the mass, K's father was attending Sunday school. So, K decided bringing me to take a walk along the park and old houses to the town hall. All the stores close on Sunday since people would choose to go to church or spend their time with their family. 

I was so sleepy (always)... lol. K told me that there's a cafe at the corner but she was not sure whether the cafe opens or closes. We just headed there without too much hope. It opened that day! So, I grabbed a cup of medium size of cappuccino and macaroon. They're just SO DAMN GOOD!!! Bitter and sweet went well together. Hahahaha. 
Creamery, the Biltmore House, Asheville, North Carolina, USA
It is part of the Biltmore House Complex. Besides cappuccino, this place is mainly well-known of its bread pudding and ice cream. The chefs made the foods based on the Biltmore family’s secret recipes. Situated with Cedric Tavern and winery, this place was just so perfect!

The Hut, San Francisco, CA, USA
The Hut is part of Golden Gate Natural Reserve Area. I found this café coincidentally. I was waiting my three friends. Boring. So, I decided to walk around, and there she was, the café was there. I came inside, grabbed one medium cup, and enjoyed it in the cloudy and foggy day. San Francisco was just so gray.  

Common Ground, downtown Denver, CO, USA
Grabbed a cup there during my West Coast road trip in the cold morning. I found this café by myself. I had Peets one hour earlier. In fact, I haven’t finished my Peets. But I remembered that I was at the downtown and tried to find this café. Adrian was my barista. He gave me extra foam when he knew that I was going to take the picture from my coffee.

Millcreek Coffee, Salt City Airport, Utah, USA
I was back again to SLC for my connecting flight from Las Vegas to St. Louis. It was around dusk. After enjoying the beautiful scenery of Utah and SLC, we touched down at the airport. I was half awake because of lack of sleeping and tired. I saw this coffee shop, and I walked in. Grabbed one medium cup, and got also some bars of homemade chocolate. Their chocolate was just so great!

Ted’s Bulletin, Washington DC
I would say, Ted’s cappuccino was just so-so. But, this place was an epic. Founded years ago, this place is well-known for its burger. Even President Obama usually grabbed his cheese burger from this place. If you sit outside, you may see street musicians play some jazz next to Ted’s.

Intel's -downtown Chicago.
Aside from those cappuccino served by several different local stores, during fall break 2011, I enjoyed two cups of cappuccino in two different places. Good ones, though not the best one. One was “Intelegentsia” in downtown Chicago (closed to the Millennium Park), and another one was in Madison, Wisconsin. I forgot the name of the store in Madison. 

I forgot the name of the shop.. J
Madison was such a small capital town – and it was near to Thanksgiving. The stores at the downtown were about to close. With three friends, we were walking aimlessly – from one store to another to see cute stuffs. Then, I saw a coffee shop. So, we went inside and had some cups. Well, the store also served free bread crump. J

No comments: